How to Join
How to Join
It's easier than ever to become a shareholder of the Honest Weight Food Co-op.
Become part of our member-owned community and enjoy all that ownership brings. Just fill out a shareholder application at the Service Desk, make your first share payment and you’re in! You will need to provide proof of residency in New York State at the time of application. A valid New York State Driver’s License is the most common form of proof of residency, but if you don’t have one, there are other documents that will suffice, and the Service Desk staff will walk you through the process and answer any questions you may have.
To join, you must buy a share and become an owner of the Honest Weight Food Co-op. Shares cost $100.00, and your purchase is a one-time cost. You may choose to pay the $100 in full the day you join (in which case you’ll never have another payment), or you may select one of the following payment plans:
- $10 deposit & $8.45/month for 11 months (totals $102.95)
- $15 deposit & $15.69 every 6 months for 3 years (totals $109.14)
- $10 deposit & $10.55 every 6 months for 5 years (totals $115.50)
Your discount takes effect immediately, regardless of which payment option you choose. Payments can be made at any time, either by mail or at the Service Desk, and there is no penalty for paying for your share ahead of schedule. Your share payment status information is available whenever you check in or out for work, or by simply calling the store and asking when your next share payment is due. If you choose to end your Honest Weight membership, you may request that your share be refunded to you in the amount that you have paid.
As a shareholder you are expected to:
- Make timely share payments.
- Purchase a share for each member of your household who is 18 years of age and older (children under 18 years of age living in a household neither purchase a share nor count as members).
- Actively participate in the Co-op’s governance structure (whereby members who are up to date on share payments and work hours may vote at meetings).
The Board of Directors and You
All shareholders are represented by an elected Board of Directors. Directors serve 2- or 3-year terms and are elected at a Membership Meeting each April.
Any member who is current with share payments and work requirements may apply to run for election to the board and may vote for board candidates.