Governance Review Council (GRC)
GRC Meeting Monday, October 20, 2014
The meeting will be held in the HWFC Community room from 7 - 8:30 pm. Click here for the agenda.
The purpose of the Governance Review Council is to promote good governance, which in the context of Honest Weight Food Coop means encouraging robust democratic, cooperative processes and structures in order to facilitate fair and open decision-making at all levels of HWFC.
- The GRC shall provide advice, support, and analysis regarding any policy or Bylaws review-related matter upon the request of the Membership, the Board, a Member-Owner, a group of Members, or the Management.
- The Council shall assist the Board Secretary in maintaining a current record of the Bylaws and official policies of HWFC.
- The GRC shall review the policies and governance procedures of the Board and Management and shall monitor the actions of the Board for consistency and adherence to those policies and procedures and these Bylaws.
- The Council shall review each Notice described in Sections 341.6, 342.8, and 343.6 before it is distributed to Members to ensure that it presents the issues in accordance with the Bylaws and to determine whether or not any proposal described in the Notice would violate the Bylaws.
- If the Council concludes that there has been a violation of the Bylaws by any action of the Board, Management, the Bylaws Panel, or the Membership, or that such violation is pending, then it shall promptly notify the Board and, as necessary, may call a Special Membership Meeting to submit the issue to the Membership in accordance with Section 343 but without the need for a petition as described in Section 343.2.
- The GRC shall appoint two people to serve on the Bylaws Panel.
- If, in the process of this monitoring function, the GRC discovers a problem with the Bylaws themselves, it shall notify the Bylaws Panel, as well as the Board, Management, and the Membership Committee, of the problem and may suggest appropriate changes. The Council may go directly to the Membership, pursuant to Section 470.2(e), if the Bylaws Panel itself fails to adhere to the Bylaws.
- The GRC may place on the formal agenda of any Regular Membership Meeting any issue related to its duties and responsibilities without the need for a petition as described in Section 342.4.
Membership and Meetings
The GRC consists of five members elected by the Co-op's member-owners for staggered three-year terms. The Governance Review Council currently meets on the third Tuesday of the month in the HWFC Small Meeting Room. Meeting dates may vary depending on current Board schedules and actions. Any Member-Owner may attend and participate in a Council meeting, but only GRC members may vote.
The GRC may adopt its own standing rules for its meetings with the exception that no rule may contradict the Bylaws. Reports of Council meetings shall be posted in the store and on HWFC's Web site within two weeks of becoming final.
Board Liaison: Bill Frye
Council Co-Chairs: Jean Corigliano and Ursula Abrams